Cornerstone plans to re-open our building for students on September 8, 2020. To support social distancing and contact reduction, we are using a hybrid student schedule that combines remote and in-school learning. The plan separates students into two groups. Each will attend school two days a week while alternating attendance every other Wednesday. This schedule limits the number of students in the building and in each room, supporting social distancing and minimizing contact exposure. However, parents can elect to have their child stay home completely and participate in the full school experience virtually every day.
The Full School Experience
Regardless of whether participating at the school or from home, students will have the full day school experience every day of the week. When at home, students will use the Zoom Platform, Google Classroom and Google Docs for academic instruction, electives, therapy, and related services. To enhance the remote learning experience, we are installing new sophisticated video cameras and monitors in each classroom so that students at home will be able to fully participate in their assigned classes, interacting actively with both teachers and students during class.
Safety as a Priority
Returning to the school building has not been taken lightly and we are taking many steps to help ensure the safety of everyone. These include:
- We have invested in purchasing Medify air purification systems for each room that will operate throughout the full school day. Each one uses true Hepa 13 filters which remove bacteria and virus carriers from the air.
- We have also ordered and will be installing MERV 13 air filters in our heating and air conditioning units throughout the building that will improve the quality of our indoor air.
- All staff will be tested for COVID-19 prior to returning to the building to ensure all will begin the school year negative for the virus.
- Everyone will be required to always wear masks at all times in the building. We will be providing staff and students with re-usable masks as an option although everyone can choose to bring their own mask as long as it is an appropriate one. Staff will also be provided with glass shields as well.
- We are expanding our existing cleaning practices and schedule. In addition to our normal evening cleaning procedures, we have added a daytime custodian to our school staff to implement constant daytime daily cleaning and disinfecting of all touchable surfaces (in particular, bathrooms, door knobs and handrails) throughout the school day, which will also be done each evening as well.
- Staff and students will be required to undergo a daily home symptom check prior to leaving for the school.
- All will undergo a daily school temperature check when entering the school.
- In addition to social distancing, both staff and students will be trained to follow strict health and wellness guidelines, such as hand-washing etc. To support compliance, we have added hand sanitizing machines at the entrance of every room.
- Weather permitting, we will use the outdoors each day so that students will have time to remove their masks and relax while, of course, maintaining social distance.
All visitors will be screened prior to entering the school and will be required to wear masks and follow health and wellness directives throughout their visit.
Cornerstone parents have the option for their child to remain on remote learning in this new school year. These students will be fully involved from home for the full school day and truly participate due to our new camera/monitor system.
We, of course, hope that as soon as possible, we can convert from a hybrid model of building attendance to a traditional full school daily attendance schedule.